Jazz Theory 12 - QUIZ ANSWERSBack to Quiz
Quiz 12 Answers
|1 = Gmaj7 (2nd)||2 = Dm7 (1st)||3 = Fo7 (r)||4 = Cmaj7 (2nd)||5 = Gø (3rd)
|6 = Bbmaj7 (3rd)||7 = B7 (2nd)||8 = Fmaj7 (3rd)||9 = Dø (r)||10 = Gm7 (2nd)
- Gmaj7 - Am7 - Bm7 - Cmaj7 - D7 - Em7 - F#ø
- Dmaj7 - Em7 - F#m7 - Gmaj7 - A7 - Bm7 - C#ø
- Fmaj7 - Gm7 - Am7 - Bbmaj7 - C7 - Dm7 - Eø
- Emaj7 - F#m7 - G#m7 - Amaj7 - B7 - C#m7 - D#ø
- Ebmaj7 - Fm7 - Gm7 - Abmaj7 - Bb7 - Cm7 - Dø
- Amaj7 - Bm7 - C#m7 - Dmaj7 - E7 - F#m7 - G#ø
- C#m7 and G#ø
- Amaj7 and C#m7
- Db7 and Fø
- Gm7 and C7
- Bbmaj7 and Ebmaj7
- Bbm7 and Cm7
- F#m7 is the II Chord in the E major scale, the VI Chord in the A major scale, and the III Chord in the D major scale
- B7 is the V Chord in the E major scale
- Bbmaj7 is the I Chord in the Bb major scale, and the IV Chord in the F major scale
- Gø is the VII Chord in the Ab major scale
- C#m7 is the III Chord, F#m7 the VI Chord, and Bm7 the II Chord in the A major scale
The wrong chords are :
- F#7. It should be F#m7
- Cm7. It should be C7
- Gbm7. It should be Gm7
- Amaj7. It should be Abmaj7
- Cm7. It should be Cmaj7
- Aø. It should be A#ø
In the key of F : F7 = I7 - Bb7 = IV7 - C7= V7
In the key of G : G7 = I7 - C7 = IV7 - D7= V7
Swing Time has a format typical of numerous Jazz songs.
The song consists of 32 bars, subdivided into four 8-bar sections.
The first 8 bars are called the A section. This section is repeated in the second 8 bars, and once more in the final 8 bars.
Bars 17 to 24 are called the B section or Bridge
The song is therefore in so called A A B A format.
The A section and Bridge each represent Circle of Fifths segments
A section : Fmaj7 - Dm7 - Gm7 - C7 - Fmaj7 -
Bridge : A7 - D7 - G7 - C7
The A sections are scale-tone chord segments of the F major scale.
The bridge modulates from chord to chord, each chord representing a different key.
A7 = D major
D7 = G major
G7 = C major
C7 = F major
The A section = Imaj7 - VIm7 - IIm7 - V7
Numerous famous songs use this chord progression (Heart and Soul, I got Rhythm, etc.)
The Bridge = III7 - VI7 - II7 - V7
The is the famous Rhythm Bridge named after George Gershwin's I Got Rhythm in which it occurs.
All melody notes in the A sections are derived from the F major pentatonic scale (F G A C D F)
All melody notes in the Bridge are chord tones from each underlying chord.
H. - I. - J. - K.
Check your results with Scale-tone 7th Chords 1 and Scale-tone 7th Chords 2.
(Top - Links)
© 1998 Michael Furstner (Jazclass)