The Power 1NT Opening - Facts
(No 5-card majors)
Opening bid point ranges for Balanced hands :
Responses to the 1NT Opening bid :
- - 2♣ = Modified Stayman Convention
- - 2 ♦ ♥ ♠ NT = Transfer bids
- - 2♠ - = 19-20, plus support and a top Honour in Responder's ♣s
- - 2NT - = 19-20, plus support and a top Honour in Responder's ♦s
- - 2♦ - = super accept : 19-20, strong ♥ support plus outside doubleton
- - 2♥ - = super accept : 19-20, strong ♠ support plus outside doubleton
- - 3 ♣ ♦ ♥ ♠ = 6+card suit, Slam interest (no transefers)
After Responder's 2♣ (Modified Stayman) :
- All rebids by Opener at the 2-level show a mimimum hand (17-18)
- = 17-18 pts, no 4-card major
- = 17-18 pts, with 4-card ♥ suit
- = 17-18 pts, with 4-card ♠ suit
- = 17-18 pts, with both 4-card majors
- All rebids by Opener at the 3-level show a maximum hand (19-20)
- = 19-20 pts, with both 4-card majors
- = 19-20 pts, no 4-card major
- = 19-20 pts, with 4-card ♥ suit
- = 19-20 pts, with 4-card ♠ suit
After Opener's Opening of 1 in a suit, his rebid of 1NT shows 12-16 points.
Responder's rebid of 2♣ shows 10+ points, is Crowhurst and forcing.
Opener shows his unbid major, 3-card support for Partner's suit, or a stopper.
- at the 2-level = 12-13 points
- 2NT = 14 points exactly
- at the 3-level = 15-16 points
- All Responder's other rebids show weak unbalanced hands (6-9 pts) and may be passed.